Raspberries and Beagles

The weekend was a relatively productive one for us working on the farm. It’s still too early to start on the garden – around here they say the 2nd or 3rd week in May is usually the best time to get things in the ground. However, we did get our raspberry and honeyberry plants put in the ground. We were able to get a little more than shovel depth in the ground before we hit frost level, which was somewhat suprisingly still around, we suspect partially due to the dry spring we’ve had thus far. The temperatures have been above average for the most part, but there has only been a couple days worth of rain since the scanty amount of snow melted well over a month ago, and even that hasn’t been much to speak of. But I won’t complain, because we need all the moisture we can get.

We purchased these raspberry roots at Bergeson’s Nursery up by Fertile a few weeks ago when we went for a free lecture there on growing fruit in the north. We got two Caroline raspberry plants, two yellow raspberry plants (that I cannot remember the variety off the top of my head), and two honeyberry plants. There are two different variety of those, as apparently one is needed to pollinate the other. We have no idea what a honeyberry is or tastes like. It’s apparently a relatively new fruit up here. But we thought we’ve give them a whirl. They were already leafing out and budding while sitting in the bag we were instructed to keep them in until ready to put them in the ground. These ones may even bear some fruit this first year, whereas the rest of the raspberries will take a few years to get there. So hopefully we don’t kill them in the meantime. The Boynes that we planted in the old garden last year all seem to be leafing out, so hopefully that bodes well. D would like to move them down with the rest of the raspberries. I’m a little worried about disrupting them and disrupting their production, though plants get transplanted all the time.

We also selected a spot for the chicken coop to go down there by the garden. D and his dad also attempted to move said chicken coop from the hill to the spot, by tipping the entirety into the bed of his dad’s truck. Needless to say, the only thing really left intact was the roof by the end of this venture. I’m not terribly torn up about it though because I secretly wanted a new version of it anyway.

The rest of the Sunday was a relaxing one. I got my bow fixed and was working on sighting it in again. I’m currently down to one arrow, as the previously remaining other two disappeared in the grass after some poorly executed shots. I wish I could just get all three of my pins truly sited in so I can really focus on perfecting my groupings. They aren’t bad now, but always room for improvement, especially as I increase the distance.

The slough was so calm in the evening, D and I took the dogs out on the duck boat for a lap around the lake. This was the first time Jack has been on a boat in his life, and he did very well. I think he has adjusted very well to life as a farm dog. He does still have a tendency to get ‘beagle ears’ and seemingly become deaf to my calls when he gets too far astray and the other option is a good scent. We’ve been working on it though.

We close on the house in one week! We are very excited. Well, I am very excited. D says he will be more excited once the keys are in our hands. Understandable. And then the work begins. I just hope we can figure out the dog situation, getting them adjusted to living in town and having town manners, like not barking up the wazoo. Here goes nothing…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s